Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Wordless Wednesday - Elizabeth Taylor (nee Rushworth) Honorary Serving Sister of the Order of St John of Jerusalem

Staff and Patients at the Colne Military Hospital near the end of WWI.  Elizabeth Taylor in the Centre on LHS of the Mayor
Today I am taking advantage of Wordless Wednesday to share with you the origin of the picture that features behind the heading of this Blog. 

I love how we can see all the creases and signs of wear that have accumulated as this picture has been passed down through the family. 

The "star" of this picture is Elizabeth Taylor (nee Rushworth) 1841-1927.  She is my husbands great great grandmother.  If you follow my blog "The Other Half of My Family Tree - stories of my female ancestors", you will see that I have recently started to write a brief history of her fascinating life. 

I believe this photo was taken when Elizabeth received a medal for the Venerable Order of St. John of Jerusalem and England (Ambulance Department). She was the Lady Superintendent of the St Johns Ambulance Service in Colne from  1898-1921.

No comments:

Post a Comment