Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Evernote - Will this be a useful tool for my genealogy research?

I am sure I am not on my own when it comes to having bits and pieces of their geneaology research in a number of places.  I try very hard to keep the all the pictures, files, useful links, newspaper clippings, emails and letters from other researchers and so on,  in some kind of ordered manner.  However, I must admit the amount coming in is often far greater than the time I have to sort them. 

I am hoping I have a solution.  I am an avid follower of Paul Higgins site on Emergent Futures and receive his monthly news letter which gives a great summary of new innovations and trends.  In the last newsletter there was an interesting article on his Favorite Applications.   The first application was on  Evernote.  Now I have to confess, when I first purchased my Ipad (which I love) I madly downloaded many of the new apps, that were going to make my life easier and fun.  One of these apps was Evernote as it came highly recommended by many.  I did set up an account and after a brief look at its applications, didn't get back to using it.

Now after reading Paul Higgins article, I have decided that this could be the tool that I can use to tie all my research together. 

This tool allows you to store your notes, pictures, develop check lists, maps, clip interesting articles, etc.  Then the bonus is that you can now access all the items you have saved at any time on your Ipad, phone, or laptop. 

I can see great potential for this app with family tree research so I plan to explore this further, and make an effort to learn the full value that this tool has to offer.  Watch this space as I share my progress.




2 comments:

  1. I've just started using Evernote on my android phone & so far so good!
    We've just had a trip to London for the olympics & I entered our travel details into it, hotel addresses, tube stations, attractions to visit etc. It made getting around very easy.
    From a genealogy viewpoint, I made a note of names, dates etc to check out when I last went to the archives, which was handy. I've also saved stuff from the web - the kind of stuff you find by accident, then forget where you saw it!
    Like you, I'm still learning the ins & outs of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes I think I am going to find it handy. The fact that you can link it to your phone, Ipad, laptop and computer is a great bonus. I was reading up on the different applications this morning. Just have to put all my ideas into practice now. :)

    ReplyDelete