Friday, September 7, 2012

Family Recipe Friday - Dad's Recipe for Ginger Beer

As a small child I remember my dad, growing his ginger beer plant in a jar on top of our fridge.  Every day he would religiously feed the plant with dry ginger and sugar until it was time to brew the ginger beer.   Then when I had a young family, I decided to try the recipe as well.  Dad gave me this typed out sheet of instructions, and lots of useful advice on how to brew the ginger beer.  It became a favorite in the summer months amongst my family and friends.  Very refreshing! 


Ginger Beer Plant

Put in screw top jar 8 sultanas, juice of 2 lemons, 1 teaspoon of lemon pulp, 4 teaspoons sugar, 2 teaspoons ground ginger and 2 cups of cold water.  Leave 2 to 3 days.

Then each day for 1 week add 2 teaspoons G. Ginger and 4 teaspoons sugar.

To make Ginger Beer

Pour 4 cups boiling water over 4 cups sugar and stir till dissolved.  Add juice of 4 lemons.  Strain into this the Ginger beer plant using a piece of muslin and squeeze dry.  Add 11 pints cold water.  Fill airtight bottles and keep 3 days before using.

To keep plant alive halve residue in muslin and place back in jar with 2 cups of water for 1 week.  then feed with 2 teaspoons G. Ginger and 4 teaspoons sugar as before.



3 comments:

  1. I am keen to try this. After you've made the ginger beer, how long can it be stored safely?

    ReplyDelete
  2. have fun, I used to mix it up in a plastic bucket, and I would add 1 saltana to each bottle. This would help to make it bubbly. I didn't have any bottles explode on me, though in the summer time it would be consumed quite quickly. I have heard of others exploding, and do remember my fathers batch exploding once. This would depend on a lot of things, warm weather, extra sugar etc that accelerate the fermenting process.Good luck with your brewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips. Maybe I'll make a batch before our (small) family gathering at Christmas.

      Delete